Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's the sound - my favorite words


Words. They're pretty powerful.

"I love you." Put a few together and they can swell a heart.

"Never again." String a couple up & they could tear a couple down.

One of the sweetest words on earth could be "yes", like when it's the answer to the question "Will you marry me?"

It can also be one of the most harrowing of words to the ears of a mother, when she asks her son if he will be going overseas to fight a war started by a ego-busted Texan with a penchant to "do what's right" in the most wrong of ways.

But then there are words that, when used on the rarest of occasion, delight. It could be they way they roll off the tongue, or what they look like when spelled out, or even their meaning. Whatever the case may be, I have a few favorites:

milquetoast - wussy

titleist (misprounounced "tit least" for a very long time)

replete - filled with, or stuffed

assclown - does this need an explanation? If so, you might be one.

deuterogamist - someone who marries for a second time. I aspire to be one.

cacafogo - a spitfire. I aspire to be this also.

stoopnagel - an idiot. My mom used this word alot when I was little, and it made me giggle. She was divorced. Figure it out.

chapeau - fancy French word for hat.

crapulous - it really means drunk, but I like to use it to describe a situation, thing or person which is the opposite of fabulous

lavavjilla - Dishwasher. It's probably the only Spanish word I can tolerate.

Scritti Politti - it's just a kickass name for a band.

croissant - they are tasty, and I lurve to hear how people try to pronounce the word all French-like and fail. I don't pose - it's "crahsahnt" to me, not "cwuhsahhhh."

doppleganger - Drew Barrymore played one in a sucky movie. Means "twin"...

egregious - superbad, in the best of ways.

superb - it's the epitome of good.

insouciant - couldn't give a crapulous.

spatula - because I am an "ula" fan. Dracula, tarantula.

onomatopoeia - did you think I'd leave this one out? Silly you...

NOW THEN...there are a few words I cannot stand. They make me shudder. For real. And I know I'm not alone in this...

moist - umm, gross?

panties - it sounds wussy, and when paired with the above word, well, ew.

snippet - it makes me uncomfortable. So does Whippet. Don't know why.

gawd - are you a stoner?

epic - are you a stoner?

Most every word in the German language - yes, I can speak/read/write in German, and that's probably why I hate it. Geshchshchsharumph. So damn guttural.

Pus/mucus/snot - kinda goes without saying.

crusty, scab or crusty scab - same as above.

harum scarum - wth? It just frightens me. Weird-ass word...

dopesick - no explanation needed.

slacks - probably the worst word in the English language. To me. Oh hell, it should have been eliminated back in the 1970's when the apparel went out of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment