Thursday, June 30, 2011

The love of my life

Before marriage therapy class started last night, I had a conversation with Suzie, a classmate, which made us both very emotional.

It was about the loves of our lives.

Her best friend and love of her life, Martin, passed away in March. She talked about visiting his grave often, telling him about her day - the challenges, the triumphs, and about how much she missed him. She said that her grief was incomparable to any other loss in her life.

I shared with her the details of my loss, when my best friend died in 2005. It was a very difficult time of my life, and I often wish I could go back and do things over again.

Suzie said she hoped to someday find that kind of love again, but she just wasn't ready now. I shared with her how I went for years without thinking I could get that lucky again, but that in 2007 I was fortunate in that I found that love again.

Oliver came into my life through chance. I was not looking for him, but he found me. And that was the beginning of what is for me, one of the greatest love stories ever told. :-)

Coincidentally, my friend Ash posted this on her Facebook page just now, which made me remember last night's conversation. Below is her tribute to HER best friend:

He is not just a dog
He is my friend
He is my family
He is my partner
He is my companion
He is my defender
He is my hero
He is my eyes when I cannot see
He is my ears when I cannot hear
He taught me to be kind
He taught me to be compassionate
He taught me to be human(e)
I am his voice

No comments:

Post a Comment