Saturday, September 8, 2012

Lips and gravel - movie review



We went to see the film "Lawless" last night.

It was much better that I expected it to be. Perhaps that's because I really had no idea what to expect, aside from seeing his loveliness Shia LeBeouf.

But it wasn't Shia who held me fast in my seat, breathe shallow and eyes glued to the screen. Get ready, 'cause I'm about to get full-on "girl" here...

It would be that fine, delicious hunk of grade A prime actor, Tom Hardy.



I'm watching this guy just eat up the screen in every scene he's in, and all I can think of is, "Who the hell is Tom Hardy?"

I had to IMDB him to find out he has been in a myriad of movies I've seen, but obviously overlooked his hotness in.

He played Bane in the latest Batman. WHA???? Well, gross, I'll overlook that.

But, he was also in RocknRolla, Layer Cake and Black Hawk Down, all fine flicks but I cannot place his characters for the life of me.

How could I have missed his big, beautiful lips and gravely voice? Yup, again with the girlie-talk.

In short, "Lawless" is based on the true story of the three Bondurant brothers in 1930's Depression-era Franklin County, Virginia, which happended to be the moonshine capitol of the US at the time. It's full of grime, hard-scrabble money-making bootlegging and the three brothers must take on a dandy/fancy Special Deputy played to a disgusting hilt by Guy Pearce. The bile that this guy brings to the back of the throat is vomit-inducing. Seriously. Just the hair alone had me looking away anytime he came on screen.

It's a very good story, all of the actors do a fine job, and the ending is one of the best I've seen in a movie in quite some time. Aside from Hardy and Shia, Gary Oldman and Jessica Chastain have good filler parts. But what took this movie from a B to an A for me, what kept me watching through the more quiet parts, was Tom Hardy.

His performance was eloquent, strong, forceful and steadfast. And yeah, sexy It was also very funny at times, and his character provided what little humor that could be held during what felt like a very real portrayal of what was historically a tough time for most.

Be warned that this is a violent movie - the sound effects are spot-on and cringe-inducing, and the visual violence almost equals what can be heard.

But also be warned that Tom Hardy migt make you swoon, ladies. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment