Thursday, April 11, 2013

Movie Review: It's drippy

Either my age is catching up with me or my stomach is getting weak.



I have a movie review, and then a bit of commentary on a new televisions show. Let's get to the good stuff.
The movie? The remake of Evil Dead. Saw it opening night.

As far as remakes go, this was well done. A little low on the humor side when compared to the original, but who says it has to measure up in that department? Not sure anyone can do the original justice, which is why I am glad the director chose to take the remake in the direction he did.

It surpasses the original in horror, gore and all-around evil.

There were boo moments. There were funny moments. And there were many creepy, atmospheric, spooky moments that will thrill any true horror movie fan.

What got to me was the gore. Seriously, on numerous occasions my hands flew to my face, my eyes squeezed shut, and I waited to look until I thought it was safe. Most of the time it was still happening. We heard others in the theater say things like "I can't believe they showed that!" and varying degrees of ooh's and eww's.

I couldn't take it. Not sure if it was the build up, the situation and then the acts themselves, but there were many scenes that made me think about leaving.

This POV is coming from a bonafide horror movie fan. I've seen them all - the classics, the splatterfests, the B-movies, the Dario Argentos and Tobe Hoopers and Takashi Miikes and Sam Raimis. When I was in grade school I used to beg, BEG my mom to buy the Fangoria magazine for me because I loved to read about horror and look at the cool special effects makeup. Looking back, I'm thankful she didn't waste her money, the VHS movies sated my need for spookiness.

Having become a horror movie fan at such an early age, I feel that I've seen so much, I should be conditioned to whatever gore is thrown up on the big screen. Not so, I guess.

There is only one other movie that I couldn't get through, which was Nishimura's Tokyo Gore Police. Unwatchable. From the first minute. Too bad, I heard it's good.

Evil Dead was 85% watchable, 15% not so much. It was good, check it out if you like horror movies. But be warned - it's drippy.

On the television side of things, there is a mid-season replacement drama on NBC (YES! NBC!) called Hannibal, which is based on the title character from the movie of the same name and a character from The Silence Of The Lambs.

I've watched American Horror Story and NCIS, so I'm no stranger to murder plots and dead bodies. I don't watch for that stuff, I like the mystery and detective work. But this show is just too creepy for me. It's not gory, really, but the gore is implied, and I know it's coming, so I'm opting out early in favor of happy, nightmare-free sleep.

I love the actors - Mads Mikkelsen, Hugh Dancy. And I read that the plot is very good. But seriously, this is too creepy even for me.

I love a good scare. And a good plot. But I guess I'm just over the gore.

No comments:

Post a Comment