Monday, April 15, 2013

Shaken

Watching the footage of runners about to cross the finish line of what may be their first, second or tenth marathon, I'm filled with pride. What an accomplishment! I am not sure I will ever do one in my lifetime, but as I train for a half, I know the preparation - physical, mental, emotional - that goes into readying yourself for such a feat.

Watching the footage of runners and spectators run for their lives, sprinting in terror away from the clouds of smoke that billow from the blast sight, children and families in tow, makes me sick to my stomach and sad and angry.

I'm so sickened by what happened today. I am sad for the people in Boston and my friends who live there. And I don't this this is over, and I worry for what is coming.

Whomever is the behind these attacks is sending a message. I think they're saying they can get us anywhere, anytime, and whenever they like.

They're right.

What happened today can be repeated in most large public events.

So how do we go on from here?

On a grand scale, we can arm ourselves with knowledge. We can elect officials whom we feel will work to keep us safe. We can keep out of harms way and cut
back on events and travel.

On a smaller and more personal scale, we can reach out to those who we love, and tell them so. We can put our phones down and connect with people in our lives in a meaningful way. We can take a breath, live in the moment and be good to ourselves. Take stock. Live in the now.

I hope they find out who is responsible for this attack. And I hope that when they do, SWIFT and JUST punishment is taken.





No comments:

Post a Comment