Saturday, July 14, 2012

Man Up!



Is utilizing punctuation other than a period detrimental to feeling manly? The reason I ask is that I often see comments on Facebook from guys to their pals like these:

"Happy birthday, Joe."

"Congrats."

"Way to go."

Womp womp. When I see these types of sentences, they just come across as all kinds of sarcastic. I get the feeling that these particular guys believe that if they write anything more than the basics, or use punctuation above and beyond a period, they'll be labeled a sissy or too emotional, and get booted from the treehouse.

I'm betting these are the same guys who go to a movie and leave an empty chair between them and the next guy. When I see this, I laugh aloud & at a decibel level that is aimed at letting them know I've seen their wasted attempt at letting the world know that they are "straight" - I could care less which way you lean, quit taking up space.

Why is portraying oneself as devoid of emotion sacrosant to the epitome of manliness? Is there a playbook boys are handed upon puberty that shows them how to remain rugged and testosterony, even down to how they form sentences?

Maybe I'm reaching, but seeing this on a daily basis on Facebook and other electronic means of communication leads me to believe that either people have forgotten how punctuation works, or laziness has set in. I mean, can it be that important to keep with the period so that you remain a card-carrying member of the fight club?

Man up, I say. Use that exclamation point. Let them know you care. Show your friend that you're happy they had a baby, or graduated. It's an electronic symbol of a jovial slap on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment