Sunday, July 22, 2012

Weekend randomness




Good weekend, overall. Canoodled, met up with friends, family time, good workouts.

Waking up early Saturday morning for my workout and bombarded with news of the latest mass shooting wasn't shocking, but it left me sad and fired up.

I could rant here but I'll refrain. What I will say is that I'm very sad for the victim and friends/families involved, including the shooter's friends and family. These people are in for a long recovery. Hopefully they get the help they need.

So, I finished The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler (which is the pen name of the husband-wife writing team of Alexander and Alexandra Ahndoril). A great book - superb in style and story. It has a psychological bent that I really dug. I have the next one, The Nightmare, on reserve. If you're looking for something similar to the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, check it out.

In other news, I'm off fast food forever - and this includes chain restaurants like the OG, Yum and The Lob. Not just because I'd read this article a while back, but because my bod just feels better eating a pretty strict regime of whole foods - egg whites, fresh spinach and broccoli, edamame, gala apples, turkey breast, cod and brown rice. May sound boring, but it's fuel and it's tasty and that's it.

Whenever I throw something processed or deep fried into my diet my innards have a freak out. Now, I do allow myself to splurge once in awhile and get some local pizza from Dewey's, a medium-rare steak, a frothy brew from a local proprietor or even a chai latte from Kaldi's. But, fast food is off the list.

Do I miss it? Heck ya. I believe McDonalds has a secret ingredient called "mind control" which is why they up to, what, 800 Gazillion Served?

It's a wonder I kept eating it after working at Hardees during my high school days...scary stuff, man. The Burger King shoe-lettuce story is TAME compared to some of the things I could tell you.

I will say this - having had the experience of working in fast food during my formative years was an experience I think everyone growing up should have. It's like a crash-course in wilderness survival, psychology 101 and UFC training all wrapped up in a big, greezy bow. You're never the same afterwards, but you're a better person for getting through it. :-)

And in further news, my dog is such a dude. I had a pretty uneventful day planned (rare and lovely) so after my workout I decided to take him to the riverfront park to explore. It was dang hot, not a soul in sight, so we stayed for about 10 minutes and then hightailed it back to the car. Got him an ice cream cone from Rally's and he was pretty set for the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment