Wednesday, October 24, 2012

More joy...unintentional and kilted



My colleague told me of a site where you could download motivational mp3 files for sports and such. http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/  She said a few of them had helped her with her sports technique.
I went ahead and checked out the site, and found what I thought might be a good choice – "Keep Running, Endurance."

At $12, it was worth it to me to try it. There wasn’t a preview, however, so I was going into this blind (or deaf, as the case would be). I’m pretty particular about my voices. I’ve used YouTube for relaxation videos and sometimes the presenter’s voice just didn’t get me there – they were either too grating, weird, soft, creepy. You get the picture.

I listened to the audio file last night after my run…wanted to give it my full attention and process it before I actually used it.

Before I disclose what took place, I need to preface it with a little-known fact. I dig accents. British, Irish, Australian, Lebanese…I like ‘em all. But there’s one that sends me over the moon. Gets my heart all a’twitter and weak in the knees.

Scottish.

I have no idea why. No rhyme or reason to it. Some things you just gotta embrace. :-)

So, can you guess where this is going?

Well, the mp3 started up, and a soothing male voice began to speak. Softly, melodically and WITH A SCOTTISH ACCENT.

Oh, oh, oh, oh. Oh my. My oh my.

I nearly melted into the couch.  It was fantastic! What a great surprise to listen to while I cooled down from the run.

A friend came over last night and I played it for him - I believe in sharing the joy. He got a good laugh when I told him I may be unable to run directly after listening to the audio file as I may need some recovery time.

I’m in heaven. Running just got even better.

The therapist who recorded it is named Roger Elliott. He has numerous recordings on the site, and I highly recommend him as his voice is very soothing, and the script he uses is motivational, grounded and natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment