Saturday, November 10, 2012

Weird little coincidences...

Went out with my friend Jarrett tonight. First dined at Ya Hala, a very delicious Middle Eastern restaurant off of 270 and the Rock Road. Who knew such flavor resided in NoCo?  Then, hit up a dive punk bar called the Waiting Room on the Rock Road. Very cool venue. Great music, hung out on the patio out back with a fire pit (no smoking near me so I'll be able to run well tomorrow). Met a really rad couple, Andy and Michelle. Andy plays in a do-wop/rockabilly band, and Michelle is a fellow therapist like myself.

We had a very detailed, deep conversation about all things music - the greatness of Ike & Tina Turner, Misfits, Fleetwood Mac before they got big and apparently were a bluesy band (??), Rock N Roll Hall of Fame trip to Cleveland, etc. We also got into a very interesting discussion about what EXACTLY makes a music fan a true music fan - do you have to own the most albums, or do you have to know yourself and the music you dig well enough to discuss but maybe not own it all? Andy and I believe that you don't have to OWN everything, but rather have a monumental appreciation for genres and gravitate to what makes you feel something, but you don't necessarily have to own it...due to the wonder that is YouTube and Pandora, you can virtually call up any song you want and listen at your own convenience. It's the gravitas you bring to the conversation. The passion. The knowledge. The respect.

So, after all of this amazing music talk, I headed home so I could get some sleep before the long-ass run tomorrow. I had Siruis on the radio, on some alternative station, and I could not believe my luck. There were three songs that played, one after the other, and each one had deep significance to certain times in my life:

1. Closer To Fine - this Indigo Girls tune was the soundtrack to most of my college years. I saw them live at Mississippi Nights, front row, and this song played in the background during some very important evenings. So good to hear, just out of the blue. Took me back to simpler times. Good times. Obliviously uncomplicated times.

2. Tempted, by Squeeze - again, part of my early years soundtrack. Such good memories, I don't know where to begin. Ahh....

3. Lost Cause, by Beck - first heard this on a late night ride down to the Venice Cafe when the album dropped. It was the start of what would eventually be years of infatuation, both bittersweet and mindblowing. It brings to mind a fond memory of a time when "what if" was constantly running through my mind on endless repeat.

It's been a long week, for many reasons. Tonight was a good night. And I know for a fact that tomorrow will be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment