Sunday, November 11, 2012

What Gets Me...

There are certain movies that, when I stumble across them while perusing through the channels, I will watch through to the end:

1. Shawshank Redemption - I do believe that of everyone I've asked the question, "What are your Top 10 movies?", this movie always made the list. Highly entertaining, moving, and what a powerful ending.

2. Lost In Translation - this movie just feels good to me. I believe it has everything to do with the pace, the soundtrack, and Bill Murray. And that end scene, in which Bill's character catches up to Scarlett's character and whispers in her ear, inaudibly...it's one of the best darn endings in movie history, imo. In fact, I'm watching it right now and it inspired this post.

3. A League Of Their Own - great characters, the history of it all. It also makes me think of my grandparents and what it must have been like to live through such a life-changing time.

4. Love, Actually - such a fun movie. Huge cast - Keira Knightley, Colin Firth, Bill Nighy, Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Alan Rickman, Laura Linney. Lovely, bittersweet stories that take place at Christmastime. Never fails to put me in a good mood. I consider myself an optimistic realist, and a realistic romantic, and I appreciate that not every storyline is wrapped up in a perfect, pretty bow.

5. A Walk To Remember - yes, a sappy story of young love in the face of impending tragedy, as scribed by Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook), but I love Mandy Moore and how Shane West's character stops being such a douche and discovers that doing right by someone is life-changing and rewarding. I gush, but it really is one of the sweetest movies and I cannot resist.

6. Pretty In Pink - Yes, I am a teen of the 80's. I don't deny it, I embrace it.

7. Some Kind of Wonderful - the movies of all one-liners. Brilliant. Eric Stolz was at his peak here, as was Mary Stuart Masterson, Craig Scheffer and Lea Thompson. I wanted to be Watts and for Keith to be my artsy, blue-collar boyfriend. The soundtrack was fabulous - Jesus and Mary Chain, Flesh For Lulu, Stones, Charlie Sexton.

No comments:

Post a Comment