Thursday, August 23, 2012

Quick-n-Dirty Movie Reviews

Below are a few condensed movie reviews for your reading pleasure.

                                                           Rogue River (2012) Rated R


Should be rated D for Dumb. Seriously. I had high hopes as Bill Moseley, one of my favorite b-Horror movie actors, plays a baddie. Sadly, the story is just too sucky for him to overcome.

Terrible concept. Terrible acting by the victim. Terrible ending.

Even if you're a Moseley fan, skip it. Really. Spend the money on Repo! The Genetic Opera or House of 1000 Corpses. Or even Roadhouse.

Everything you need to see is in the trailer:





                                                                    ATM (2012) Rated R

Not terrible. Interesting concept, much like P2 (the parking garage horror movie). Without giving anything away, it's a "wrong place, wrong time" kinda flick. Decent acting. Basic storyline. Ending was more intricate and gave better backstory than most movies, but felt flat. Worth $1.29, but that's about it.


                                                              The Intruders - (2011) Rated R

My main reason for seeing this was Clive Owen. Adore him. My second reason was Kerry Fox. A very underrated, not-much-seen British actress (see Shallow Grave...classic).

It had a fairly cool concept - spooky villian, maybe real or maybe a figment of collective imaginations, a bit of history thrown in, and some scattered but pretty cinematography. It

Clive Owens does consternation and incredulity superbly. Plus he could recite Beowulf to me and I'd be in heaven. Slurp.


                                                    The Darjeeling Limited (2007) Rated R


I love Wes Anderson. I love every one of his movies, even Fantastic Mr. Fox, which initially turned me off as it's a cartoon, but once I let it in it's become one of my favorite cartoons of all time.

I'd seen Darjeeling in the theater, when the short movie "Hotel Chevalier" preceded the feature. I sae it was a choice in the IFC Free Movies on Charter. One of the few perks of Charter.

I'd forgotten how sad and boyish it is. Loved rediscovering it.

Adrien Brody initially threw me off - to me, he's such a formidable presence that I felt he'd alter the dynamic too much. He didn't. His performance was very understated, which fit his character well.

This film just smacks of loveliness. Watch it now.






No comments:

Post a Comment