Thursday, August 23, 2012

The nose knows...

Perfume.

Women buy it because it smells good, but about a minute after we apply it we can no longer smell it. However, anyone in our immediate vicinity can, and sometimes that's not a good thing, especially for me.

My sense of smell rivals that of a bloodhound. I'm super sensitive when it comes to fragrances, and have often had to stifle the reaction that so easily comes to my countenance when faced with a scent that feels like it's trying to kill me. Like Happy, Red Door or Poison.

That being said, I rarely wear perfume - I opt to go the soap or lotion route, which I find is far more pleasing to the probiscus palette. Once in awhile I wear jasmine oil, and if it's a special occasion, Issey Miyake or Perscriptives Calyx.

When I was married, I sometimes wore patchouli or sandalwood oil at the request of my husband. I wasn't super hippy, but I did't mind it in light doses. We used to burn so much incense all the scents used to meld together. Good times.

I have also, at the request of people I dated, worn a fragrance I wasn't fond of - no harm to me as I usually didn't smell it, and if it made them happy, why not?

Despite my super sniffer, I am a sucker for a good cologne on a man. My favorite? Acqua di Gio by Armani. It's my catnip. Pair it with a waffle slub tee or crewneck and some fitted jeans and I'm your gal.

Shazam.




No comments:

Post a Comment